Kolimbari is a quiet calm village with open beaches and cliffs, 15 miles west of Chania. It is a small place that can be used to reach the fertile land of the surrounding area, the interesting landscape and beaches, the large number of important churches and monasteries of the area and to reach the archaeological site of Diktinna. The new highway from Kolimbari to Kastelli allows for fast travel to the next bay, Kolpos Kissamou and the town of Kastelli.
Traces of Minoan settlements have been found in several places near Kolimbari, but no systematic excavation has been done yet. The Turks first landed on Crete here, in 1645, and started occupation of the island. The Greek Army landed here in 1897 to achieve the union of Crete with Greece, and this was the reason for the start of the war of 1897 between Greece and Turkey.
Kolimbari can be used as a starting point for the trips to Diktinna by boat (Kolimbari, Ellinospilios, Diktinna) to the monastery of Agios Ioannis Gionis (Kolimbari, Rodopou, Agios Ioannis Gionis) and to Nopigia.
Kolimbari holiday nights are quiet affairs around a modest selection of tavernas, restaurants and a few shops but the centre of Kolimbari holiday life is the beach, which is relatively undeveloped, long, open and excellent for swimming. The beach is pebbly but topped up with sand. Walkers and nature lovers on holiday in Kolimbari will enjoy the Rodopos Peninsular, an unspoilt and largely uninhabited area famous for honey, and bird watching.
All the attractions of Chania Town are within reach of regular buses as are plenty of other livelier resorts on the west coast of Crete.